SMTPit Pro is a next generation email plug-in for FileMaker Pro 7 and greater. SMTPit Pro is built from the ground up taking advantage of years of plug-in development knowledge and the latest FileMaker plug-in API.
SMTPit Pro provides a vast array of email options. You can send simple text based messages or you can send complex HTML messages. You can send a single message or an entire mail out. Its functionality is flexible enough to cover many email tasks.
SMTPit Pro makes customizing your email messages a snap. It has special header and footer functionality to aid with email greetings and signatures. You can also use merge fields to grab information from your current record. Merge field data can be used in the subject, header, body, and footer.
You can create email messages in a variety of ways. You can simply refer to a field in a table, or you can build a message from several sources including fields, portals, and even container fields. You can convert styled text in a field to html. You can even send a graphic copy of your layout by using Preview mode and sending it as an inline HTML image.
SMTPit Pro also includes two email dialog windows allowing you to create an emailing solution with very little overhead. The email windows look and act similar to a normal email client, however, they are enriched with features relating to FileMaker. For example, you can use a value list or paragraph delimited text to create an address book for the To, CC, and BCC fields. You can use merge fields in the subject and body of the message. You can also use container fields to hold attachment files, or you can use a file dialog to select them.
With the advent of FileMaker 7 and greater, it is now possible to use container fields to store attachments. This makes for a more natural integration between email and FileMaker. It also lets you use files that may already be in your existing database.
As with all of our email plug-ins, you do not need an additional email client in order to send email with SMTPit Pro. Once the plug-in is installed and optionally configured, you are ready to start sending messages.
Email Window Dialog
- Email Window
- Advanced Email Window
- Get Email Window Values
- Multiple Attachments
- Dynamic Attachments
- Send Containers (Stored)
- Send Containers (Referenced)
- Set Attachment with Dialog
- File Copy
- File Delete
- File Exists
- File Export
- Get Path To DB
- Get Path To FM
- File Move
- File Rename
- Select File With Dialog
- Select Folder With Dialog
- File Size
- Set body with file
- Set HTML body with file
- Show Status
- Hide Status
- Move Status
- HTML Header
- HTML Body
- HTML Footer
- Styled Text to HTML
- Set HTML body with file
- Set Priority Function
- Set Reply-to Function
- Add email header
- Register via function
- Check registration
- Set character set
- Set character set via function
- Auto-Update Compatible
- Auto-Update friendly version number
- Set Authentication type
- Check Email Syntax Function
- Merge Fields
- FMP 7 Native
- View config via function
- SMTP Connect
- SMTP Disconnect
In addition to the FileMaker Pro Client version of smtpit Pro, we also have a FileMaker Server Edition of smtpit Pro available. The Server Edition can be installed on FileMaker Server to be used with Scheduled Scripts and/or web publishing, including custom/instant web publishing, and WebDirect.
For more information about the Server Edition of smtpit Pro, see the documentation.
|Mac||10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12|
|Win||2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package|
|FileMaker Pro||7.0v3, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, 12.x, 13.x, 14.x (32), 14.x (64), 15.x (32Win), 15.x (64)|
|FileMaker Server||9.x, 10.x, 11.x, 12.x, 13.x, 14.x, 15.x|
Thread-safety fixes and new file functions
- Fixed an issue shutting down the plug-in under FileMaker Pro 15.
- Fixed issues with working with container field images inserted from FileMaker Go.
- Imported many updates from other CNS Plug-ins.
- Removed old External() functions.
- Added some very important thread-safety features to make sure the plug-in runs without issues, especially under FileMaker Server.
- Updated the File_SelectFileWithDialog function with some new parameters/features.
- Added new file functions: File_CreateFolder, File_DeleteFolder, File_FolderExists, File_Import, File_List, File_Read, File_Timestamp, and File_Write.
FMP 15 function search/description support + bug fixes
- Updated to the latest FileMaker Pro Plug-in SDK.
- Added support for FileMaker Pro 15 function search and tooltip descriptions (type-ahead support pending FileMaker update).
- Updated thread-safe code to improve reliability, especially on FileMaker Server.
- Fixed an issue with StyledTextToHTML where only the first IgnoreTraits was being used.
- Fixed several issues with file paths.
- Fixed an issue where the “Email Sent Successfully” dialog was no longer popping up to display errors.
- Fixed issues with combo boxes and list boxes in the plug-in’s dialogs on Mac.
- Fixed issues with labels in dialogs on Windows cutting off part of the text.
Full, cross-platform, 64-bit GUI support + bug fixes
- All GUI components are now 64-bit cross platform.
- Fixed an issue with StyledTextToHTML and font colors.
- Fixed issues with deleting unnecessary temporary files.
- Added exception protection code on Windows around some networking code.
- Fixed an issue with the File_Export function.
- Fixed issues with Registration on Windows under rare circumstances.
- Fixed an issue with files exported from container fields not retaining their original file names.
- Fixed an issue with setting multiple attachments at once when using FileMaker style paths (eg. paths starting with file://).
- Fixed issues with the Status Dialog not drawing correctly and not allowing the Cancel button to be pressed.
- Fixed issues with extracting files from compressed container fields.
- Fixed issues dealing with Timestamps.
- Fixed issues with saving out the preferences.
- Fixed issues with registering when copying license key information from a PDF.
64-bit Client Version
- Added 64-bit support for FileMaker Pro 14.
- Removed PPC support from Mac plug-in.
- Includes updates and bug fixes to CNS Core code.
Bug fix release
- Fixed a bug in the Message-ID generation which could lead to anything from emails not decoding properly to emails being bounced to even crashing the plug-in.
- Fixed some Mac GUI issues.
Bug fix release
- Fixed a bug causing CRAM-MD5 authentication to fail occasionally.
- Fixed a crashing bug with sending HTML emails with Inline Images and Attachments.
- Fixed a rare crashing bug with sending attachments with certain lengths.
- Fixed issues with using files/images in container fields under WebDirect.
- Fixed another issue with sending Japanese characters where characters would disappear.
- Fixed some issues with Base64 Encoding/Decoding.
All New Version including 64-bit
- Almost complete rewrite of the plug-in.
- 80% faster sending emails!
- 64-bit versions for FileMaker Pro Server (including Scheduled Scripts and WebDirect).
- Drop-in replacement of previous version (no need to rewrite calculations).
- Fixed an issue with SetBodyWithFile not reporting errors when it couldn’t read in a file.
- Fixed an issue with exporting the JPEG preview of images.
- Fixed a crash issue with the line-wrapping code.
- Updated the Connect and Disconnect functions to return transcripts even when there are errors.
- Fixed an issue with converting Japanese text to ShiftJIS where characters would go missing.
- Increased the Server Demo Period to 2 hours to allow more time to test.
- Updated File_Size function to return file sizes greater than 2 GB.
- Updated File_Move/File_Copy to check for the existence of a destination directory (if the path ends in a slash) so as to not unintentionally rename files when moving/copying.
- Fixed issues with the Message-ID not having a valid domain name (it now uses the domain name of the From address).
- Imported many core updates from other plug-ins.
Bug Fixes / Maintenance Release
- Fixed an issue with encoding attachment names that contained non-ASCII characters.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where selecting items in the contextual menus in the email dialogs wasn’t working.
- Fixed an issue with accented characters in the Computer Name on Windows.
- Other minor updates and fixes imported from other CNS Plug-ins.
Bug Fixes / Maintenance Release
- Fixed some issues with the email address validating code that created invalid email addresses.
- Fixed some registration issues dealing with Dev Keys trying to overwrite Demo Keys.
- Modified the preference loading code to not hit the disk so often, thus speeding up the plug-in a little.
- Fixed an intermittent crashing bug dealing with the ISO–2022-JP character set.
- Imported core plug-in updates from other CNS Plug-ins.
SPAM prevention enhancements / attachment fixes / stability improvements
- Reduced the default “SMTP Line Break Setting” to 76 to help prevent spam filters from marking emails as spam.
- Removed the extra “type” from Multipart-Related “Content-Type” header to help prevent spam filters from marking emails as spam.
- Fixed an issue on Windows with locating files on computers that have more than one hard drive with the same volume name.
- Fixed an issue with attaching files that were currently open in another program; the plug-in now gives an error instead of sending a 0 byte attachment.
- Fixed issues where the plug-in would stop responding if for some reason the internal thread had to be aborted.
VerifyEmailAddress fixes / Connection related Fixes / Updates to StyledTextToHTML and inline images
- Fixed an issue on Mac with SSL connections to some mail servers.
- Updated StyledTextToHTML to ignore HTML entities.
- Added code to StyledTextToHTML to add HTML entities for common high-ascii and unicode characters.
- Updated the inline image code to handle VML’s “imagedata” syntax (used by Outlook/Exchange).
- Fixed an issue in GetSendValue where it was returning erroneous errors.
- Updated VerifyEmailAddress to handle email addresses in the form: “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- Updated VerifyEmailAddress to not add quotes around the “human readable name” part in addresses of the form: test
- Updated VerifyEmailAddress to handle email addresses in the form: test (no space between the name and the <)
- Updated VerifyEmailAddress to not strip off the angled brackets for email addresses in the form:
- Added code to automatically restart the underlying thread in the event of an error (to help solve “Already Connected” errors).
Small Bug Fixes / A couple of new function parameters
- Fixed an issue where IsConnected could incorrectly report that it was connected.
- Imported core plug-in updates from other CNS Plug-ins.
- Fixed a bug with SetTos, SetCCs, and SetBCCs, where if the “Append” parameter was “True”, but no email address was specified, it would clear all the email addresses previously set.
- Fixed a few Registration issues.
- Added a FileCharSet parameter to SetBodyWithFile to tell the plug-in what character set the file is in instead of assuming it’s UTF–8. (If the file is Unicode and has a Unicode BOM, this parameter will be ignored.)
- Added a “Clear” option to the Register function to allow for unregistering from a function.
Disconnection issues / VerifyEmailAddress bugs
- Fixed a bug dealing with some mail servers that simply disconnect without sending the final “bye” response. (This was most notable with Gmail servers when connecting on port 465.)
- Fixed several issues with the VerifyEmailAddress function not working and returning errors.
- Added support for using Variables in place of Fields with the Merge Field functionality of the plug-in.
Bug Fixes / New Server Config Database for IWP
- Fixed a bug that was causing all multi-line preferences (headers, footers, etc) from the Configuration Dialog to be discarded.
- Fixed some memory leaks.
- Fixed an issue with the Developer’s Passwords.
- Added SMTPit_VersionAutoUpdate function.
- Updated the SMTPit Pro Server Config database to also work through Instant Web Publishing.
Fixed a couple of crashing bugs / Fixed an issue with FileMaker Server on Mac OS X 10.4
- Fixed an infinite loop bug in StyledTextToHTML.
- Fixed an issue where the Status Window wasn’t updating correctly.
- Fixed several speed issues; it sends much faster now.
- Fixed a bug on Windows with SMTPit_Register(“Dialog”) that was causing a crash.
- Fixed an issue on Mac with the plug-in not loading/working with FileMaker Server on 10.4.
- Fixed an issue with the Transcript not working.
New Server Edition / Many bug fixes / A few new features
- Fixed issues dealing with Files and Folders that contained forward and backward slashes.
- Fixed issues on Mac where the plug-in couldn’t deal with files on mounted volumes in certain circumstances.
- Fixed issues with the Merge functionality where random text was being inserted.
- Added UNC support back into the windows plug-in.
- Reintegrated the OS X 10.3.9 version of the plug-in into the main distribution.
- Fixed issues with the plug-in loading under Runtimes on Windows.
- Fixed issues with loading the Preferences on Mac.
- Fixed issues with the StyledTextToHTML function under FMP 9.0+
- Fixed issues with reading Unicode files.
- Updated the Email Validation routines to accept longer top level domains like .travel.
- Fixed crashing issues with using the old style “SMTP-ClearAll” function.
- Fixed a bug where the SendWithDialog function wasn’t returning errors.
- Fixed a bug where the SetHost function wasn’t letting you clear it by sending it “”.
- Added support to StyledTextToHTML for working with variables instead of just field names.
- Imported all common code from other plug-ins to bring the plug-in completely up to date with all the latest code.
- Added IsConnected function
- Added support for “BeforeConnect” TLS/SSL (connecting to an alternate port where TLS/SSL is negotiated from the very beginning).
- Added FileMaker Server support in a brand new edition of the plug-in named “SMTPit Pro SE”. See separate Server Edition download for more information.
Config Dialog updates; Copy/Paste bugs fixed; Inline Image bugs fixed; non-English path bugs fixed; Email Syntax Validation rewr
- Fixed a bug dealing with the Email Character Set combo box in the Configuration Dialog not selecting the correct value
- Fixed a Mac bug dealing with copying and pasting in the Email Windows when Custom Menus are defined
- Fixed more bugs dealing with Inline Images (parts of HTML disappearing; images not working)
- Fixed a low-level Mac bug dealing with translating Unicode Strings (this manifested itself in getting a path with non-English characters from SelectFileWithDialog)
- Completely rewrote the Email Syntax Validation routines to correspond with information found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address
- Fixed a bug dealing with running a plug-in in Developer’s Mode when the plug-in is already registered
Container Images / HTML bug fixes
- Fixed a Mac Intel bug where images weren’t properly being extracted from Container fields
- Fixed a bug dealing with Inline Images and parts of the HTML disappearing
- Fixed a bug dealing with loading Text/HTML files from the hard drive
- Fixed a speed issue with loading files from the hard drive
New uses for Inline HTML Images; Some bug fixes
- Added the ability to use Inline HTML Images in more places than <img> tags (for instance, you can now use them as the HTML background image)
- Created a separate PPC only 10.3.9 version of the plug-in for users that are still on that version of Mac OS X (it’s a separate download on our website)
- Fixed a Mac bug that caused Old Style Functions to not work properly on Mac Intel machines
- Fixed some Mac bugs dealing with determining the Root Volume when FileMaker isn’t installed on the Root Volume
Mac/Intel Universal Binary support plus lots of bug fixes
- Compiled Mac plug-in as a Universal Binary to work on both Mac/PPC and Mac/Intel machines
- Recoded the network code for the Windows version for better stability
- Fixed a Windows bug for extracting GIFs and PNGs from Container fields for use as Inline Images
- Fixed some bugs in user defined Content-Types
- Fixed some bugs with saving the preferences out
- Fixed some Windows bugs that caused problems with paths on non-English systems
- Fixed a Windows bug dealing with UTF–8 emails
- Fixed some bugs dealing with Smart Quotes and the “Old-Style” Functions
- Fixed a Mac bug dealing with file paths for people using FileVault
- Fixed problems with GetSendValue not working consistently
- Fixed a Windows bug where the email body would take on the word-wrapping from the email dialog body field
- Fixed a bug where some internal status text could show up in the email dialog body field
Fixed a bug where the Preferences where not being saved
- Fixed a bug where the Preferences where not being saved
Fixed a few bugs; modified backward compatibility feature
- Fixed a few bugs in the core plug-in code
- Fixed a bug that caused FileMaker to crash if the Default Headers and Footers contained blank lines at the top
- Fixed a few bugs dealing with Mapped Network Drives on Windows
- Added the ability to use both Old and New Style functions at the same time to ease migration woes from old SMTPit calls to new SMTPit Pro calls
- Offers better compatibility with FileMaker on Windows (including a fix for the crash when trying to print scripts)
Added a new Custom Window Title feature to the Status Window / Fixed several bugs
- Added a new feature that allows you to define a Custom Window Title for the Status Window.
- Fixed a bug with specifying attachments from the Configuration Dialog.
- Fixed a bug with sending attachments in mass emails.
- Fixed a few problems with the email address syntax verification.
- Fixed a bug concerning running the plug-in under Instant Web Publishing on FileMaker Pro Client (this does not fix the problem with FMSA).
- Fixed a bug in SendWithDialog when running in Developer’s Mode.
Fixed a few bugs; Added in the missing VerifyEmailAddress function
- Fixed a few bugs with the Clear function
- Fixed some problems with the OS X version not loading on anything prior to 10.3.9. The plug-in now loads on 10.2.8 and above.
- Added the VerifyEmailAddress function that didn’t make it in the initial release.
Initial Release of SMTPit Pro 4.0
- Initial Release of SMTPit Pro 4.0