MMEmail is a user-friendly send email plug-in for FileMaker® Pro. It is different than other email plug-ins in the sense that it does most of the work for both the end user and the developer.
MMEmail has a built in email window which allows the end user to compose an email message as if they were using a normal email client. From within the email window, you can set the To, Subject, and Body, as well as Attach up to 3 files. You can use a definable menu of email addresses to populate the To field. The Subject and Body of your message can contain Merge Fields to grab information from the current record before sending the message. Merge Fields can be inserted easily with a Contextual Menu. You can select Attachments via a file dialog as well as select Container Fields from a menu. When you click the Send button, the email window can automatically send the message, or store entered values for use with the non-window email function.
The non-window email function is as simple as it can be, only requiring a To and Subject with an optional Body and/or up to 3 Attachments. It's very easy to write calculations to send email with this plug-in. Beginning with version 1.1 is a FileMaker Server Edition of the plug-in. The Server Edition can be installed on FileMaker Server to be used with Scheduled Scripts and/or FileMaker Server Advanced to be used with Web Publishing. For more information about the Server Edition of MMEmail, please see the ReadMe file included in the MMEmail Server Edition download.
As with our popular SMTPit Pro plug-in, you do not need an additional email client to send email because MMEmail sends directly to your mail server.
How does MMEmail compare with SMTPit Pro? We have compiled a comparison chart between SMTPit Pro, MMEmail, and FileMaker's built-in Send Mail. The chart is broken down into several categories including: Email Window Dialog, Attachments, File Functions, Status Dialog, HTML Features, Email Headers, Utilities, and General Features.
General Email Features:
- Send email without needing an additional email client
- Attach up to 3 Files
- Attach a file in a container field. (stored and referenced)
- Use merge fields in the body of your message
- Use merge fields in your subject
- Send an email using fields already in your database
Email Window Features:
- Use an email window to compose your message
- Auto-populate all fields in the email window including attachments
- Predefine a list of to email addresses for the auto-enter to menu
- Get email window field values after the message has been sent
- Email window can be used to gather values, or to send message
Plug-in preference Features:
- Open the preferences dialog to any tab using a function
- Email settings are stored in the preferences
- Set SMTP Host, From Name, and From Email
- Set Authentication Type
- Change Email Character set
In addition to the FileMaker Pro Client version of mmemail, we also have a FileMaker Server Edition of mmemail available. The Server Edition can be installed on FileMaker Server to be used with Scheduled Scripts and/or FileMaker Server Advanced to be used with Web Publishing.
For more information about the Server Edition of mmemail, see the documentation.
FileMaker Client Requirements
7.0v3, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, 12.x
FileMaker Server Requirements
9.x, 10.x, 11.x, 12.x
2000, XP, Vista, 7
A general knowledge of FileMaker scripting and using the calculation engine is needed to use a FileMaker plug-in.